It is with growing concern that I sense that the fundamental constitutional clamps on governmental power are being eroded inch by inch with every single piece of regulatory legislation that is being forced these days upon a mostly unsuspecting citizenry.
One such piece of legislation that continually seems to get an honorary pass from our Congress is the Patriot Act.
I understand that the name of the Act sounds good, and so when the clock runs out and our public servants cannot take the time to read yet another 346 page (and growing) piece of legislation, I wonder if our servants in Congress will simply agree to continue to trample on our rights that are guaranteed by the constitution, because the name of the Act sounds good?
I would hate to think that the people we have entrusted to protect and defend our God-given rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness would be so shallow as to continue to foist upon the citizenry this type of suspect legislation, because let me tell you, there is nothing patriotic about allowing federal law enforcement agencies the ability to spy on the American citizenry; there is nothing patriotic about forcing citizens to sign reams of documents supposedly protecting their privacy, while the very Act that purports to protect privacy is the very Act that severely diminishes privacy.
Do our public servants understand that our Constitution gives us bedrock protections against a tyrannical government? We have a military equipped to protect us against outside aggression; we have a law enforcement community to protect us against inside insurrection; and we have a legal system that has hundreds of thousands of laws written to delineate the structure of a civil society (most of which could be thrown in a huge fire, burnt to a crisp and none of us would be any worse for the wear, I might add).
Yet our own federal government continues to:
- Deny Americans the right to protect our sovereign borders (how many border patrol agents, farmers and tourists going to have to die at the hands of drug cartels and other persons who hate America before we are going to take actions against this illegal invasion into our country)?
- Deny the American citizenry their protection by the 4th amendment to freedom from seizure (who among us is wise enough to be given unchecked surveillance powers to access personal records, monitor financial transactions, and student and medical records without the potential misuse of this information based upon one’s political ideology)?
- Deny our right to free association (who is wise enough to define “undesirable groups” when no laws have been broken, and one man’s definition of undesirable is another man’s definition of utopian)?
- Deny us the ability to discriminate against petty street criminals (why aren’t our age old laws against street crime being enforced with the roving, fighting mobs that are causing havoc in our cities)?
- Deny our military the right to engage in a war without restrictive rules of engagement that hamper their ability to fight against sworn enemies of our country (why are we sending our sons and daughters, husbands and fathers into battle with rules and regulations that are despicably against normal human nature and the protection of self)?
And yet after all of this, our public servants are prepared to extend unconstitutional authority to allow unconstitutional intelligence agencies to spy on persons of legal American heritage?
I have a couple of questions that I must ask our public servants:
- Have you READ every single word of the USA Patriot Act?
- Will you promise to read it before you agree to sign it?
- Once read, have you considered each provision of it from the context of “Is it constitutional?”
- Can you point to specific Sections of the United States Constitution that give this type of unchecked power to our government?
- Are you prepared to honor your Oath of Office to uphold the United States Constitution that describes in very simple terms the God-given rights of the American people?
Just so that you know, many of us are watching, hoping and praying that you and your colleagues begin reversing this sickening trend toward tyranny against the free people of the United States of America.
Originally written May 25, 2011
Updated May 25, 2015